Wednesday 23 November 2011

Library Camp 2011

Library Camp was fantastic, and I wish more people had come to it. It was an opportunity to let our hair down a little, kick some ideas around, and get to know other librarians and info professionals in a more relaxed setting than a symposium. I was fortunate to have booked extra time on the end of my trip to Perth for NLS5, which allowed me to attend, even though I hadn't known the date in advance. It took place in several rooms at the State Library of WA.

Library Camp was an "unconference," meaning it was loosely organised - date, venue, food, attendees and rough schedule. The topics and speakers were chosen on the day. To my surprise, I bounded down the stairs of the auditorium (fuelled by coffee!) and took the microphone. My suggestion was to discuss ideas for connecting librarians around the world, and it made the final cut of topics. And so it was that I found myself chairing a session in a full boardroom.


Along with the professional topics, the most popular was work/life balance. Hoi (better known as @librarianhoi) brought buttons, half-finished owls, and other crafty bits, and several of us sewed together over lunch. Other topics included literacy, PLNs (personal learning networks), e-books, blogging, QR codes, building a better web presence, and the GLBTQ community in libraries.

Next year, I'll be involved in "unorganising" Library Camp in Brisbane!