Saturday 22 September 2012

Print vs Pixel at SLWA

I was invited to share my Kindle experience at a "lunch box" session for staff at the State Library of WA. As a practicum student and guest of the SLWA, I was honoured to be asked. Print vs Pixel: How will you read tomorrow? was a panel session, designed to introduce a variety of e-readers. Following our presentations, there was a technology petting zoo.

Approximately 30 staff members gathered for the lunch hour information session. I was seated at the front of the room, with five others on the panel. We each represented a device - Kobo, Sony Reader, Kindle, iPad, Android and...gasp! a real book. We were treated to a reading of It's A Book by Lane Smith. If you don't know it, enjoy this YouTube version!


I love the flexibility of reading on my Kindle. It's lightweight, it fits in my purse, and I can bring more than one book with me at all times. Mine has wifi, which has been a godsend; once I was on vacation and finished the first book in a series, and I was able to download the next book in no time! Browsing the Amazon website allows me to discover new authors based on my purchasing habits. I find the e-ink screen easy to read, and the device itself is a breeze to use. It was nice to contribute to the session, and share my love of the Kindle.